Help us preserve Waverley to enable future generations to enjoy our proud maritime heritage
Waverley is truly unique, she is the World’s last seagoing paddle steamer and was famously gifted to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (PSPS) for £1 in 1974. Since 1975 Waverley has been operated on a not-for-profit basis to keep alive the glory of the famous Clyde steamers.
Since those pioneering early days of Waverley’s preservation she has relied on many individuals and organisations to help keep her paddling, but by doing so millions have been able to enjoy the unique experience of travelling on a paddle steamer.
Waverley Steam Navigation Co. Ltd, a charity registered in Scotland, exists for public benefit to:
- Maintain and operate Waverley as the World’s last seagoing paddle steamer on the Firth of Clyde and in other UK coastal waters on a programme of excursions as a living and working steam heritage attraction of national and international significance
- Promote the conservation and development of the specialist human skills and the physical infrastructure required to maintain and operate Waverley
- Engage with communities and coastal areas served by Waverley to ensure recognition of the economic and cultural benefits derived from her operation
- Educate the public regarding: Waverley, the maritime, shipbuilding and engineering heritage of Clydeside and other UK locations, and the social and cultural history pertaining to the operation of paddle steamers on the Firth of Clyde and in other UK coastal areas.
Support to date
- Numerous public appeals have been essential, the most recent in 2023, to help raise vital funds for maintenance work and renewal projects.
- A £7 million heritage rebuild in 2000-2003 restored Waverley to her original 1947 condition while incorporating modern safety equipment and standards. The rebuild was made possible by grants totalling over £5 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund as well as other funding from Glasgow City Council, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, the European Regional Development Fund and other local authorities.
- The Paddle Steamer Preservation Society through its members have given over £4 million since 1974 to help keep Waverley sailing.
- The Scottish Government provided £1 million of funding towards the Boiler Refit Appeal in September 2019 to help ensure that Waverley returned to service in 2020, several other organisations and companies also contributed.
How can you help support Waverley?
- Become a Friend of Waverley and help ensure her continued operation by giving a fixed donation each month. From as little as five pounds per month you can help safeguard Waverley’s future. You are also able to Gift Aid your donation so we can claim an extra 25p on each £1 donated.
- Join the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and enjoy exclusive benefits including a magazine every three months including Waverley news and access to discounted tickets for Waverley.
- Make a one-off donation today and help ensure Waverley keeps sailing.
- Become a Waverley volunteer – We need skilled and unskilled volunteers to help keep Waverley sailing.
- Be our voice – inform others and explain how they too can help protect the World’s last seagoing paddle steamer.