Waverley is the world’s last seagoing paddle steamer and was famously gifted to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (PSPS) for £1 in 1974.
Waverley Steam Navigation Co. Ltd, a charity registered in Scotland, was established to own the ship and through a public appeal returned Waverley to service in 1975. Throughout her preservation career Waverley has required support to remain operational.
A £7 million heritage rebuild in 2000-2003 restored the ship to her original 1947 condition while incorporating modern safety equipment and standards. The rebuild was made possible by grants totalling over £5 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund as well as other funding from the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society, Glasgow City Council, Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, the European Regional Development Fund and other local authorities.
The Scottish Government provided £1 million of funding towards the Boiler Refit Appeal in September 2019 to help ensure that Waverley returned to service in 2020 and several other organisations and companies have also contributed.
How can you help support Waverley?
- Become a Friend of Waverley and help ensure her continued operation by giving a fixed donation each month. From as little as five pounds per month you can help safeguard Waverley’s future. You are also able to Gift Aid your donation so we can claim an extra 25p on each £1 donated.
- Join the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society and enjoy exclusive benefits including a magazine every three months including Waverley news and access to discounted tickets for Waverley.
- Make a one-off donation today and help ensure Waverley keeps sailing.
- Become a Waverley volunteer – We need skilled and unskilled volunteers to help keep Waverley sailing.
- Be our voice – inform others and explain how they too can help protect the last seagoing paddle steamer in the world.